Pages

Sunday, February 1, 2015

Drawing a Day 20150201

I drew birds. Pencil on paper. 

I'm not posting it. I have been doing a lot of thinking about this project. 

I love the privacy of art, the way you can keep it yours until (and if) you are ready to share. 

By posting every day, I was putting too much pressure on myself. I wasn't allowing myself to be bold, to push the boundaries, to experiment in areas I am not comfortable.

I have so little time to make art. The time is mine and it shouldn't be stressful. I want to be ok with spending only ten minutes some days if that's all the time or energy I have.

I promise I will post daily in this first month to hold myself accountable, but it won't always be a picture. 

Thanks for your support and understanding. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Bethany, I empathize with your dilemma. I’d like to try and short circuit your thinking with a suggestion.

Why don’t you consider self-portraits when you aren’t in the mood to draw other subjects/objects?

Also, why not consider a different approach/technique or even style to explore ways of seeing the same form while trying to ignore the self-consciousness nature of the whole endeavor—while creating an archeology of marks.

Are you familiar with the pencil self-portraits of Ann Gale? Google some.

Anonymous said...

Here’s an example:

http://hyperallergic.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Ann-Gale-_Portrait-with-Scarf_-graphite-on-paper-with-collage-2014.jpg

Anonymous said...

And here’s a painted self-portrait she made:

http://hyperallergic.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Ann-Gale-_Portrait-with-Grid_-oil-on-masonite-2014.jpg

Marsha said...

I've been enjoying seeing your daily drawings, but I definitely don't want you to stress out about them. Please keep drawing them, and just post whenever you like. :)

Unknown said...

Thank you BOTH.

Anonymous, I love your suggestion and the links to Ann Gale. Wonderful inspiring work.

Marsha, thank you for your continued support on all my decisions! ;)