Pages

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

A Drawing A Day, 7.30.08

This is a little different from what I usually do for a drawing a day -- it's much looser.

The thing about pen is that it can be so scary because you can't erase, but at the same time, it's much freer, too, if you allow yourself to embrace the mistakes. This one was so much fun. I set my timer for 30 minutes, turned on the John Lennon tribute album Instant Karma, took out my 9 x 12 sketch pad, found some objects around (and ate some of them too -- the basil and the blueberries) and just drew. It was so liberating.

I then came upstairs and colored it loosely in Photoshop, just to see how it would react as a screen print. I am not sure how I feel about it in color. I don't think I like it with color.

What I love best? the dead Black-eyed Susans.

2 comments:

Cakespy said...

This kind of reminds me of the work of another artist I love, Julia Rothman. Have you seen her stuff?

Unknown said...

OMG, Jessie! I LOVE her -- but no, I hadn't heard of her until your email! Thanks for showing me her work!!!