Pages

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

A Drawing A Day, 2.19.2008

Here is my latest cupcake. I know, I am a little obsessed with painting cupcakes, but I am enjoying the challenges of a similar subject matter with different attempts and mediums. For this 5"x5" cupcake, I painted it on textured clayboard with watercolors. I am loving this clayboard (I guess it has been renamed to aquabord.) Anyway, it is a really cool product that I am really enjoying. I will need to pick some more up next time I am at the Art Store.

I do think this looks a little flat, next time I need to work on giving the cake a little more depth. Interestingly enough, while there isn't depth in the cake itself, there is apparently depth in the strokes, because Kevin literally thought I had done this painting with a fuller bodied paint than watercolor.

4 comments:

arianna said...

that one looks great - very REAL. especially the wrapper part. i think this might be my favorite one yet!

arianna said...

i also *really* like the off-center positioning on the paper. i could imagine you writing something in thin, spindly script like 'thank you' kind of tiny in the top left-hand corner & making some lovely greeting cards! :)

Unknown said...

Thanks, A! I love this one too! I am definitely loving it more than the one I did today!

Also, love the card idea. I should get a high res scan of it before it leaves my hands...!

Christy Amular said...

Nothing prettier than a sweet pink cupcake! What about cupcake notepads Bethany? :-)