Pages

Sunday, December 21, 2008

Umbrellas and Raindrops

I guess this massive snowstorm in New England (and other parts of the country) has inspired me to do a piece with precipitation.

Here is the design for the cover of a checkbook sized datebook I am working on.

I had a lot of fun working on it. Tomorrow I am going to the studio with Ernie and I am going to figure out what material and color it looks best on.

I think in the new year I will also play around with this as a fine art print.

Funny, I think that working on something that I don't intend to be fine art -- at least not something I expect to be framed -- puts less stress on me and in the end I really enjoy the outcome and in turn have ideas I want to make into fine art prints. Hmmm, guess it all comes back to Art and Fear, huh?

I was also thinking about how much I loved to send out my holiday cards this year. The thing is, what I love most about screenprinting (or printmaking in general) is that it makes fine art accessible to all. By sending mini prints through the mail, I am sharing my art with those I love and those who appreciate it. If you want to get a handmade Bethany print next year, please sign up with your mailing address on my mailing list. Would love to have you! And believe me, my mailing list isn't overwhelming -- I think I sent out one email this year and my only snail mail was actually the holiday card.

Coming soon, notes on my discard project. Stay tuned!


6 comments:

arianna said...

this umbrella print is adorable. i look forward to seeing your datebooks! xo

Unknown said...

thanks a! I am in LOVE with this pattern on fabric, even though it was frustrating me to no end. I tried using some not so perfect fabric to make more pouches! FUN! But then the sewing was acting weird, so I wanted to put grommets to make it better, but then the grommets were too short, so I have to get some to make it better. Whew!

Shannon said...

You have a very nice blog with some wonderful creations. Thank you for sharing. :)

Unknown said...

Shannon, thank you for stopping by and for your kinds words!

Anonymous said...

What a fun blog Bethany. What I like best is that you share your process. I am always intrigued by a person's process. That handwriting font link is very cool too!

Anonymous said...

What a fun blog Bethany. What I like best is that you share your process. I am always intrigued by a person's process. That handwriting font link is very cool too!