Pages

Monday, May 4, 2009

More Fruit, Still Going Bananas

I'm just stuck in this awful rut. I don't know what I want to make, what I should make, what I need to make. I just finished Art & Fear: Observations on the Perils (and Rewards) of Artmaking by David Bayles and Ted Orland, but since it's been such a long time since I read the beginning, I think now I should go back to read that.

Anyway, the banana made me so happy I thought I should continue to pursue fruit, but clearly I am not sure if that was the answer either.

I think that if I decide these aren't working, I will just sand them away and use the surfaces for something else. I will sit on them for a while, but once I run out of my collaged surfaces, they might be the first to go.

Sorry this post is so blah -- I am just in this fantastic rut. A fabulous teacher reminded me of something I said about D.H. Lawrence's The Rocking Horse Winner and thought it might apply to my art, but since I don't remember the story, I think I will go back and read that and hope for a miracle!

I promise someday I will be out of this rut. Today I threatened to quit as an artist. But that's not what I want the answer to be either. I think most of it is trust and facing the fear.

Oh, about the art, like the banana, each are 4"x6" (or 6"x4"...you know what I mean) and done in gouache on on collaged surface. The apple core was done today, the kiwi on Thursday.

3 comments:

Bethanyem said...

Are you crazy? Don't you dare paint over these. They are fabulous. The banana made ME very happy too, and so does the kiwi and apple. They are fabulous. Lean all three up on your window sill and walk by them for a bit. You will see the magic, I think.
Okay, sorry to be so forward.
I'm sorry you're struggling so much.
Have faith and just keep doing it.
That is the bravest thing.
You are brave.
You are an amazing artist.
You will find your way.
You are.

(couldn't post with my google ID for some reason)

said...

These are great B love the kiwi and apple. With the banana this is a great little collection!

Unknown said...

You guys are great! Sorry I never responded.

Thanks for the ongoing support.

xo